- Coconut kefir (fermented coconut water rich in probiotics) as the base
- Loads of organic greens(spinach, basil…)
- Aloe vera, which is great for gut health
- An orange
- A touch of lime juice
- A healthy protein (I like hemp or pea protein)
- Chia seeds or flax meal
- Bee pollen
Karin G Reiter, Functional Medicine Nutritionist
Karin G. Reiter is a wellness warrior, passionate foodie, environmental enthusiast, mama of two who has been working as a functional medicine & culinary nutritionist for over 13 years. Karin’s own journey into nutrition started when she was diagnosed at the age of 18 with her first autoimmune disease (Hashimoto’s). Not seeing much improvements in her symptoms or antibody levels following the conventional medicine approach she started to learn about the healing power of her everyday food.
MY DAILY BREAKFAST: Protein smoothies. Protein helps balance my blood glucose levels and regulate my insulin, which in turn helps keep my energy stable. Smoothies are great because you can load them with all the good nutrients, and they are easy to have and digest. I usually carry my smoothie with me to the gym or work.
My immune boosting smoothie:
CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT: Dark Chocolate (preferably vegan)
FIVE ITEMS IN MY PANTRY:
- Raw cacao- I use it for making oatmeal, smoothies, bliss balls, cakes and muffins and even in my coffee
- Organic coffee- I have to have 1-2 coffees a day and like to call myself a coffee snob
- Cinnamon- I use this in everything, making oatmeal, smoothies, bliss balls, cakes and muffins and even in my coffee
- Marinated artichokes in olive oil- these are great to support the liver and are one of my favourite additions to salads
- Olive oil- my family has an olive grove and we make the best organic olive oil which I use on everything
WHEN I FEEL LIKE HAVING A CHEAT DAY, I…enjoy my food and enjoy the moment. I don’t believe in diets. I believe in lifestyles and listening to your body.
WHEN I HAVE A SWEET TOOTH… I know my period is coming 😉 and then I feel grateful for being a woman and I reward myself with my vegan dark chocolate and a nice cuppa herbal tea.
ONE PIECE OF HEALTH ADVICE I’D GIVE… If someone tells you there is only one type of diet to follow, run away. Do not believe people who are convinced in one direction. In health, there is no cookie cutter approach. It’s important to note that we are all different and all need different approaches and protocols.
HEALTH TREND TO SKIP: Trends, in general, come and go, that’s their nature.
SIMPLEST WAY TO IMPROVE HEALTH TODAY: Close your phone, hug a loved one, get out in the sun and trees, move in a way that makes you feel good and eat food close to its natural source.